Dita Von Teese and her purple feather fans
Oh Dita. *sigh*
Underground Peepshow is back like the Batman!
That’s right, after our hiatus over the summer we are relaunching a new series of nerdy burlesque shows this fall and winter.
Our first show is “Nightmare before Stripmas”- A Tim Burton Themed Burlesque!
Details @ www.undergroundpeepshow.com
Boys and girls of legal age wouldn’t you like to see something strange? After our sold out visit to Springfield with The Simpsons and our stop in the digital playground of Nintendo, The Underground Peepshow wants to tap into your dark side and take you on a twisted ride into the universe of one of the most visionary story tellers of our generation with a tribute to Tim Burton!
Tim Burton has been entertaining people with his dark and twisted, yet lovable characters for over 20 years. With so many characters in his body of work it’s tough to pick a favourite. Maybe you’d like to dust off your copy of The Guide For The Recently Deceased and strip off your stripes on our new home stage at the Projection Booth Metro!
We are currently seeking nerdy burlesque performers who would just die to embody one of Burton’s iconic characters. From Saturday, August 11 to Sunday, August 19, 2012, we will be accepting pitches for Burton themed burlesque acts. If you are interested in being involved in our show, we’d love to hear from you!
Date: Saturday, October 6, 2012
Doors open: 9PM
Venue: Projection Booth Metro (677 Bloor St West, Toronto)
- You must be 19 years or older to pitch.
- You may pick any character from a Tim Burton film, story, poems, etc. Be creative!
- Your pitch must be for an original act created specifically to debut at this show.
- As this is burlesque, full frontal nudity is not allowed. Pasties and panties are required.
- Men are welcome to pitch an act. We do love our boylesque!
- Tim Burton has created a roster of iconic characters, with some more popular than others. With a diverse pool of characters, we highly recommend submitting more than one pitch. Pitching more than one character increases your chances of having your act selected for the show.
- Double acts are also welcome, though we highly suggest that you also submit a solo pitch since spaces for double acts are limited.
- All experience levels are welcome to submit a pitch. Remember, life’s no fun without a good scare! So don’t be afraid to pitch if you’ve never done it before.
Please submit your pitch via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your real name
- Your stage name
- Your contact information (email and phone number)
- Your stage experience (burlesque or other)
- Your chosen Burton character
- Please give a detailed description of your idea for your Burton act, including music and costume.
- In 150 words or less, please tell us about yourself so we can get an idea of who you are.
- How did you hear about the Underground Peepshow?
- If you are not chosen for this show, would you be interested in volunteering during the event?
- Please attach a headshot of you to the email
If you have made the short list, we will be contacting you at the end of August. Please note that if you make the short list, you may be required to perform an act for us so we can get a sense of your style and what you are about. If your act rattles our bones, you will be required to attend one dress rehearsal to be set within the week of the show, as well as a tech rehearsal on the day of the actual event. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot us an email and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
NEW SERIES! NEW VENUE!
As most of you may have already heard, our beloved home theatre, The Toronto Underground Cinema recently had to close its doors temporarily to sort out some housekeeping. With the anticipated re-opening of the Underground Cinema postponed, we decided to continue on with The Underground Peepshow series in a new venue. This was a hard decision to make as we had always considered the Underground Cinema to be our second home. We created the Underground Peepshow not only because we loved burlesque, but we also wanted to support the cinema and give back to the amazing community it helped foster over the last few years. While we will miss the many quirks our old venue had to offer, we are also looking forward to the new opportunities ahead for The Underground Peepshow. We are extremely excited to announce that we have found a new home: The Projection Booth Metro (677 Bloor St West, Toronto).
Being huge film nerds, we have always adored the atmosphere of a classic rep cinema. Our tight friendship and strong professional relationship were created and cultivated on a stage in front of a silver screen, first at the Bloor Cinema where we performed in the Repo! The Genetic Opera and Rocky Horror Picture Show shadow casts, and then later at the Toronto Underground Cinema. We also believe that holding our shows at a rep cinema is one of the main aspects that makes our shows so special and unique, and we want to be able to share this environment with you, our audience. With so few rep cinemas left open in downtown Toronto, we feel incredibly fortunate to have discovered the Projection Booth Metro. With its interesting history and reputation, The Metro has often been viewed only with curious speculation. We’ve often wondered what the place was like inside, but most of us never dared to go in. However, with the new push to restore the theatre back to its former glory and bring back the classic films and interactive theatre experience, everyone can finally appreciate this hidden gem on Bloor Street West. The new management of the Metro share the same sentiments that we have for rep cinema, and we look forward to working with them to help nurture a new community. We hope that you will become a part of it!
In light of new beginnings, we are happy to present to you a series of three themed shows happening in the fall and winter months called The Peepshow Rises. The series begins with our Tim Burton inspired burlesque show, The Nightmare Before Stripmas, which will be happening on Saturday, October 6, 2012 at the Projection Booth Metro. As always, part of our mandate at the Underground Peepshow is that we are an inclusive community, and we welcome both new and seasoned burlesque performers to pitch an act for our Tim Burton show. The pitching floor is open from Saturday, August 11 and will close Sunday, August 19. We will be announcing the next two themes in The Peepshow Rises Series at Toronto Fan Expo happening August 23 - 26, 2012.
Winter is coming, but don’t you worry. The Underground Peepshow will will continue to warm your nerdy little hearts this season!